Homework March 02

January 26th, 2009  |  Published in g. Color Preparation

Homework: Preparing for the Color Assignment (due March 8 on the course website)

From your favorite art, design, movies, etc, identify a palette of 3-5 colors that expresses your sense of color harmony. Post your color palette here (with one image or multiple images) with a briefly description. Due Sunday night.

No Responses

1. JananiV says:

March 6th, 2009 at 8:49 pm (#)

The painting I chose is Tuscan Red III by Hans Paus. (http://picasaweb.google.com/j.vasudev/InterfaceAesthetics #5310300391411176658).
    This is my color palette (http://picasaweb.google.com/j.vasudev/InterfaceAesthetics#5310300396739274850).

I love the rich shades of reds, oranges and yellows in this picture. I chose this picture because a majority of the colors that the artist has played with are on the positive side of the hue circle and are combinations that blend well together. The way I see it, the mix of bright reds, deep oranges and light yellows are evocative of a raging fire and the smooth transitions from the reds to yellows symbolize its subsidence. For my poster, I see the raging reds as signifying the burning fury within a person’s mind and the transition to shades of orange and yellow as representing the attainment of inner peace through therapeutic art. It is a combination that conveys a lot of meaning particularly in the context of therapy - while deep reds and oranges can be used to symbolize fire (read rage), the yellows betoken light (read inner calm).

In addition, because these colors are adjacent to one another, they live harmoniously. Even though most similar colors tend to have a lesser visual contrast than complementary colors, there seems to be lot of energy in this portrayal.

Disclaimer: The orange in my color palette is the bright orange seen in the picture. Unfortunately, some of the color information in my palette was lost on conversion to an image format.

2. AnnetteG says:

March 7th, 2009 at 5:56 pm (#)

After quite a few rainy days in a row in Berkeley, today was a refreshingly sunny one. Accordingly, I wanted to capture the colors that I see on a sunny day. I took the blue from the way the sky looks today, the yellow from the petals of a sorrel flower, the purple and the orange from two other flowers that I don’t know by name but see frequently in my neighborhood, and the green from the sorrel leaf. Like Janani, I had the hardest time capturing the orange in digital format. The real one is more saturated. I wonder if there’s something about orange that makes it tough to get into a digital color gamut.

3. Hyunwoo Park says:

March 8th, 2009 at 4:28 pm (#)

I chose a movie poster to extract my color palette. The poster I used is “Love Letter.” I like the contrast between the large white space and black picture. The point color is some variations of orange. I used Adobe Kuler to extract five colors from the poster image.

The original poster

Color Palette

4. CarolC says:

March 8th, 2009 at 4:37 pm (#)

I chose a picture from my wedding to capture the colors for my color palette. My wedding colors were orange and turquoise. To me, these two colors convey a liveliness and energy that invokes a strong sense of joy.

My flowers were a variety of orange and peach hues. The bridesmaid dresses were a turquoise and lighter blue.

5. SeungwanH says:

March 8th, 2009 at 5:54 pm (#)

The illustration comes from “Lupinchen” by Binette Schroeder, one of the most famous Germany illustrators. She likes deep and dark color expression. Especially, she often uses strong primary colors with gray tones. The gray tone makes the strong primary colors more harmonious without sharp color conflicts.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kpiOU3gGol9V9NmsxKG0fg?authkey=Gv1sRgCMrKhqHBh8CkpQE&feat=directlink

For example, the illustration’s background color is red-orange. The color emphasizes the cheerful and surreal mood of characters. The red-orange is strong color, but Schroeder adds gradient gray tones. Other than the background color, most colors in the picture are based on gray tone; the blue color of the box-like man and the bird’s feather, the pink color of the color, and the brown color of Humpty-Dumpty.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aoUlBppId7XopZ440DXRPA?authkey=Gv1sRgCMrKhqHBh8CkpQE&feat=directlink

The gray tone added-color palette seems effective to get both strong insistence of colors and harmonious match of the colors. The gray tone can also emphasize mysterious, surreal atmosphere with deep nuance of colors.

6. LisaP says:

March 8th, 2009 at 6:00 pm (#)

I created a color palette for my masters thesis, using prevalent and pop colors from underground movies of the 1970s as inspiration.

Even in dark movies, bright reds and browns were widely used at the time. Here are clips from two important midnight films of the time. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (which was written by Roger Egbert) and Pink Flamingos.

7. Hsin-hsienC says:

March 8th, 2009 at 6:02 pm (#)

Color is such a precious gift from the nature to the human beings. One of the most spectacular scenery in nature is Auroras (Polar Lights). The picture is taken in the north polar zone at night with Auroras appearing as greenish glow. The sky is mixed with blue and light purple, fading into pink near the horizontal line. Meanwhile, the snowy ground in white reflects slightly pink and blue from the sky, harmonized with fluorescent green of Polar Lights. The picture provides well mixed hues (blue, pink, and purple) as the background, contrasting with greenish glow illuminated by Polar Lights in the heaven.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HsinHsienChiu/InterfaceAesthetic#5311003311061203874

8. K. Joyce Tsai says:

March 8th, 2009 at 6:33 pm (#)

Like Annette, I was thinking of spring when I was looking for photographs, ergo the sakura.

sakura2

I chose colors from the photograph, although I lightened the green and darkened the blue to provide some more contrast. I particularly wanted another dark color aside from the brown to anchor the colors more and to highlight the brightness of the light pink and the green.

Color palette

9. ElizabethS says:

March 8th, 2009 at 6:59 pm (#)

I created this color palette for my master’s thesis, a multimedia project about downtown Santa Cruz.

I pulled the colors from this image, from one section of my project. This was a building destroyed after the Loma Prieta Earthquake, many say it represented the heart and soul of the downtown.

Photo provided by Charlie Eadie

10. RhyenC says:

March 8th, 2009 at 7:05 pm (#)

Continuing with work from my masters’ work on foreclosures, I created a color palette based on the image of my poster, as it is the most emblematic of the project.

Original image:

http://rhyencoombs.com/projects/misc_images/aesthetics/rhyen_image.png

Palette:

http://rhyencoombs.com/projects/misc_images/aesthetics/rhyen_palette.png

11. SunnyL says:

March 8th, 2009 at 7:59 pm (#)

I loved the colors in the Saffron flower in the picture below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/threeqube27/I290IAS09#5310983474263455506

I thought about the colors that I generally am attracted to which are often reflected in my wardrobe, accessories, and gadget choices and they all seem to be embodied by the colors of this Saffron flower.

http://picasaweb.google.com/threeqube27/I290IAS09#5310987706417842146

http://picasaweb.google.com/threeqube27/I290IAS09#5310988034327871298

When I see the color arrangements simply on the palette it seems like a sort of wild mix of extremely bright colors but they somehow are able to work harmoniously in the picture of the flower.

12. LjubinkoM says:

March 8th, 2009 at 8:39 pm (#)

This is a photograph of sunset over the Tasman Sea, seen through palms and flax plants, on the west coast of New Zealand. I took this photo in December and fell in love with dark outlines posed against the the rich blues of the sky.

Sunset

I chose the following four colors from the image because they represent the full spectrum of colors present in this image, from black to nearly white. The two central colors capture the blue-green hues of the sky, which feel very warm and rich to me.

Colors

13. ChrisT says:

March 8th, 2009 at 9:00 pm (#)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3614/3340672452_e7a3c058a8_o.jpg

14. DanielleS says:

March 8th, 2009 at 9:22 pm (#)

For the signage in Garden & Nursery project, I thought the outside of Gianni should be matched:

Here is the palette:

My first thought is that I wanted something subdued that images of particular plants, ecosystems, etc (probably lots of greens) would stand out but maybe this is too dull???

For fun, I also looked at this photo taken in Prague a couple of years ago.

Here is the palette:

I found that I had trouble making both palettes match the integration of color that my mind was doing when looking at the whole photo or at just a portion (say the roof of gianni or one chair)….

15. Simon Tan says:

March 8th, 2009 at 9:25 pm (#)

My current wallpaper is a nighttime shot of the pier in Vancouver, BC.

Vancouver Dock at Night

It has the liveliness of an urban environment mixed with the relative calm of the water at a dock at night. I wanted a palette that captured both, so (using Adobe’s Kuler for assistance) I made this custom palette:

Vancouver Palette

16. WesleyW says:

March 8th, 2009 at 10:58 pm (#)

I took the inspiration for my palette from a vegetable dish made of yams, acorn squash, carrots, and leeks. I was very drawn by the contrast between the mottled oranges and yellows of the roots and squash and the brilliant green of the leeks.

I began with a snapshot of the dish and sampled pieces of the constituent ingredients. From each of these pieces, I extracted a color that felt the most representative. Unsurprisingly, I was unable to snap a photo of the dish which accurately captured the vibrancy of the colors. The image I finally used looses some of the depth and variation among the oranges, so I attempted to compensate by tweaking the saturation and value of the final set of colors.

The final set reflects a few colors from each of the most prominent ingredients.

ps - It occurred to me upon posting that I actually selected seven colors rather than the 3-5 originally requested. Sorry! I believe a few colors could certainly be shed from my palette while still retaining the essence of the original.

17. TiffanyC says:

March 9th, 2009 at 12:32 am (#)

I couldn’t choose between two palettes of two different pictures. I have a variety of favorite colors and there are different combinations of colors that I think are beautiful. In order to choose which color combination, I used two of my favorite pictures based on their color and derived my color palette from them.

This picture is a scene from one of my favorites movies, which I love because of the amazing graphics and a music to match. The colors complement each other but they all contribute to the same atmosphere of tranquility and hope. I love that the blue has purple tinges and the purple has pink tinges and the sky blue has green tinges and the sand has a grey/purple/blue color to it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The next photo is an hold high school photo taken on an Apple computer. My favorite part about the picture is that there are so many different colors in this one picture but nothing clashes or looks out of place to me. It’s probably just the glowing effect, but the way the colors meld together leaves a perfect blend of opposites and contrasts that coalesce into a balanced image. It was difficult to choose only five colors for a palette that would effectively portray the colors that I love in the picture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

18. mlissner says:

March 9th, 2009 at 10:07 am (#)

I found this assignment pretty challenging because color has a lot of meaning to me. I can come up with hundreds of sets of colors that display a sense of “color harmony,” but unless I know what purpose the colors will have, I’m stumped. A picture that I think has a good sense of color is this one, from the Scottsdale Botanical Garden:

In the end, I decided it was about displaying my favorite colors, so I picked some that I like, and that don’t have a lot of particular emotion or baggage to them.

19. StephanieP says:

March 9th, 2009 at 10:27 am (#)

I went through some favourite photos, art, etc. but decided that I wanted to do something more conceptual. Christmas has always been an important time and holiday for me, and I feel that I have a strong idea of what that looks like to me. I purposefully did not go looking through any images of Christmas, and just focused on the colours that I felt exemplified the aesthetic of what Christmas means to me.

Deep, rich burgundy and red, green, and gold.