OUR VIEW OF THE COURSE
1. To function in (or work with) organizations, you have to understand how they work. So we are concerned with general managerial and organizational concepts and practices.
2. Information plays a key role in organizations of all kinds; SIMS students, as information professionals, need a particular understanding of info in organizations.
3. Information organizations, and information functions within all kinds of organizations, present particular management/organizational challenges. So we will consider these particular managerial/organizational challenges.
4. Information technology plays a key role in organizations. SIMS students are likely to be particularly involved in IT functions. So they need to understand how IT impacts the organization.
5. The uses of IT in organizations cannot be considered apart from the organizational (and social) processes in which they are embedded. So to work effectively with IT in organizations requires an understanding of the organizational and social context.