bailey's blog

Moby Dick, Chapter 32, and the Document Type Spectrum

We've talked a lot about Moby Dick as an example of a narrative document, but Chapter 32 of Moby Dick deserves a place slightly farther to the right in the document type spectrum. Chapter 32 is all about cetology, the study of whales and dolphins.

Carbon Paper Found In India

In Search Of India's Red-Tape Factory  (It's worth listening to the audio of this story for the ambient sound alone. )

Pilers

Future Me Says...

Today when Bob was talking about PIM and the game of catch metaphor, I was reminded of FutureMe.org.  You can write yourself an e-mail on the site, and it will be delivered to 'future you' at some future date. You can choose a year up until 2060. I wonder if it is less likely that I'll be alive in 2060 or that FurtureMe.org will still exist. Maybe we won't even have e-mail anymore. 

RadioLab on Words (video)

First and foremost, watch the video before reading my blog. It's only three minutes long, and I think it's really lovely. Also, the way you watch it changes if you're not watching it naively. 

If you have the time, the entire hour-long "Words" episode, is really interesting and relevant to some things we've been talking about in class.

Neologisms for Mom

From The New York Times Magazine
New Vocabulary for Parents
by Lisa Belkin

Syndicate content