go to UC Berkeley home page go to SIMS home page

SIMS 247: Information Visualization and Presentation

Readings and Software

Overview

Lectures & Assignments

Class Projects

Administrivia

Readings

Online InfoViz Resources

Readings

There are a large number of interesting books on information visualization. I have made my collection available for perusal in the lab. Roberta will record your name and you can read the book in the lab. Please do not remove it from the lab; return it to Roberta before you leave.

The required book is:

Robert Spence, Information Visualization by Robert Spence, Pearson, 2000.

(Our textbook has not yet quite been published. I'm working with the publisher to get an advance electronic copy for when classes begin. We should get the printed version at the end of September.)

The following books are strongly recommended, but not required:

The following are of interest.
  • Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization
    From campus machines you can access these online at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org (Click on Proceedings, then search on Visualization)

Cleveland is a classic reference; it is also more advanced, scientific, expensive, and longer (and takes longer to arrive from Amazon).

• Elements of Graphing Data, William S. Cleveland, Hobart Press, 1994.

Kosslyn is more like a cookbook or how-to guide and should be useful for people not very experienced with making graphs (although I think it is useful even if you are experienced; it puts a lot of your implicit knowledge explicitly in one place). Although it is light on the scientific justifications, it is written by a distinguished cognitive psychologist with considerable experience in the field. It has the added bonus of giving a little bit of psychological background, and it is a very fast read.

• Elements of Graph Design, Stephen Kosslyn, W.H. Freeman & Co., 1993.
  • Designing Visual Interfaces, Kevin Mullet and Darrell Sano, Prentice-Hall, 1995.

• Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction (3rd Edition), Ben Shneiderman, Addison-Wesley, 1997.
    (I recommend you buy this book if you are planning on taking the user interfaces course next year.)