IS 296A-4 Seminar on Research Methods:

Introduction to Quantitative Methods

Basic Information

Syllabus

Lecture Slides

Assignments

SPSS Tutorial

Final Project Presentations

May 8th, 3:30 to 5:30

Overview

As we have discussed in class, the final presentations will be roughly 10 minutes long and will have a few specific requirements. The main point of these presentations is for you and your group to find some interesting results (or non-results) from a dataset of interest to you, and tell us about it. Of course, it is also an opportunity to use the statistical tools and methods that we have talked about this semester.

Group Size

Groups should be 1-3 students. I will ask you to send me a list of your group members by email so that I know the total number of groups before our presentation day.

Analysis Requirements

You may use any dataset of your choice for this small project. I am not putting any upper limits on what you want to explore or analyze, but there are a few minimum requirements:

1. You need to use at least three (3) different types of bivariate statistics (correlation, t-test, ANOVA, chi-square).
  2. You should do the appropriate univariate statistics (including simple scatterplots, means, histograms) on your key variables.

You may also choose to do one or more regressions, but it is not required.

Presentation Format

Plan for a 10 minute presentation which includes:

1. Description of your research interests
  2. Your research questions (concepts to be related)
  3. Description of your data (where is this data from? Who collected it? How was it collected? Etc)
  4. Your specific hypotheses (variables to be related)
  5. Any special variable recodings you had to do?
  6. Results (did you find support or not for your hypotheses)?
  7. Conclusion and any Implications

You can be creative with your presentation style -- the list above is just the suggested order in which you should talk about these different aspects of your research. For this kind of presentation, visual aids are required, but you can choose how to do this (PowerPoint is encouraged so that we can pre-load them onto a computer at the beginning of class).

The write-up (paper)

Your group should submit a paper version of your project, and I highly suggest the presentation format above. The paper does not require any theory or literature review at all -- it should be focused on research questions, hypotheses, data, analysis and results. The estimated page length is 4-5 pages. The paper version is due by Thursday, May 11th at 4pm in my box in the front office.

Group contributions

You should include a page at the end of your project that states the contribution of each group member, and this page should be signed by all group members.