User login

Powered by Drupal, an open source content management system

Theory and Practice of Tangible User Interfaces

Thoughtless Acts

Submitted by katalene on Sun, 12/28/2008 - 19:58

Assignment: Thoughtless Acts

Collaborators:

Assignment: Thoughtless Acts
Collaborators:

Assignment: Thoughtless Acts
Collaborators:

While cooking my dinner one evening, I realized that quite a few of my acts in the kitchen are “thoughtless”.

1. The spoon that I use to stir a pot is put on top of the pot when I’m not using it – it stays convenient and doesn’t get the countertop dirty. I know that they sell spoon rests, or I could just place the spoon on the counter, but I like this solution! It’s easy and neat, and I always know where the spoon is.

2. I do a lot of baking, but lost my oven mitts a long time ago. I tend to use my sleeve, if possible, or I use a dish rag if one’s easily available.

I suppose the solution is to buy some oven mitts, especially since I tend to burn myself regularly.

3. My roommate tends to wash used plastic bags. I’m not sure why she does this, because she never reuses them, and eventually they get thrown away.

But since they need to be opened and upside down to dry properly, she puts them on wooden spoons to dry. I could create a proper drying rack for her,

but that might just encourage her to wash more plastic bags that she won’t reuse.

4. I drink several cups of tea a day, and I like it strong. My tea bag string gets wrapped around the handle to keep the tea bag out of the way.

If I forget to remove the string and it dries in place, it gets all stiff and leaves a mark on my cup. I could remove the tea bag earlier, but I get lazy.

Another solution? Drink another kind of tea, one which doesn’t use strings.

5. Sometimes I put honey in my tea, and the spoon gets all sticky. In that case, I leave the spoon on top of the jar until I know that I’m done with the honey.

I don’t think this needs a solution.