1. How long have you been using the Web? (Select one) Less than 1 month 1 month to less than 6 months 6 months to less than 12 months 1 year to less than 2 years 2 years to less than 3 years 3 years to less than 4 years 4 or more years 2. In an average week, how often do you use the Internet? (Select One) An hour or less 4 hours or less Every Day Twice or More a Day 3. In an average week, how often do you use a search engine? (Select One) Never Rarely (Once or Twice a Week) Sometimes Frequently Every Day Heavily (More than once per day) 4. Which of the following search sites have you used in the past year? About.com AltaVista AOL.com AskJeeves ChaCha Direct Hit Dogpile Excite Go Go2Net Google GoTo HotBot Iwon.com LookSmart Lycos MSN Netscape Northern Light Snap WebCrawler Yahoo! Other (Please specify) 5. Please select your favorite search engines, the ones that you think are the best (you can select more than one): 6. Please select a primary search engine, one that you would say that you primarily use when looking for information online: (Select One) 7. How do you usually get to your primary search engine? (Select one) Bookmark/Favorite It is my Browser default home page (the first page that appears when I log on) My Browser has my favorite as a specific selection, button or hotlink and I clicked on it Link from another search and portal site I enter the URL Link from a directory of Web sites that I visit Link from another page I visit Some other way 8. When did you first start using your primary search engine? (Select one) Within the past 3 months More than 3 months to 6 months ago More than 6 months to 1 year ago More than 1 year to 2 years ago More than 2 years ago Don't Remember 9. How often are you able to find the information you are looking for on your primary search engine? Every time Most of the time Some of the time None of the time 10. Overall, how would you compare your primary search engine to other search engines you have used? Much better Somewhat better About the same 11. Overall, how would you compare your primary search engine to your group of favorite search engines? (Select One) Much better Somewhat better About the same 12. In general, how important are the following features in a search engine to you? (Select one for each) [DDB : 1=Least Important > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5=Most Important] Site is easy to use Site has accurate search results Site has timely, up-to-date content and news Site is well-organized Security and Privacy Site makes me feel part of a community I can personalize the site, tailoring it to my interests and needs Site has contests or games I enjoy Site has a good reputation Site looks appealing Site allows me to communicate with other people (email, messaging, chat, postcards) Site is fun Site is reliable Site allows me to search various sources (multiple search engines, newsgroups, etc.) Site allows me to look for information in various ways (boolean, keywords, questions)