Classroom Etiquette

As we begin to carry more electronic devices with us each day, it is important for us to remember to demonstrate courtesy and respect to each other as we work and live in South Hall. I hope that you will work together with me in establishing a distraction-free learning environment for IS250.

1. I will turn off my cell phone before I come to class, and I ask you to do the same, or to switch it to SILENT mode. If you phone rings during class, I will automatically deduct 1 point (for each instance) from your class participation score. If you set your phone to silent mode and you receive a call during class, please quietly step outside of the classroom before you answer the phone. Don't answer it on your way out of the door.

If you are expecting an urgent phone call, please inform me before class. A valid example: your wife might be going into labor any day now, and you need to rush to the hospital when it happens. An invalid example: you are expecting a call from a potential employer regarding an important interview. Ask them to leave a message and you can call them back.

2. Turn off all sounds and alarms from your laptops, PDAs, watches, etc.

3. If you bring your laptop computer to class, and expect to be doing anything other than viewing the lecture slides or taking lecture notes for this class, please sit in the last row of the classroom.

Suggestion: IS250 homeworks are due at 3:30pm (not 3:40pm), so if you haven't submitted your homework by then, don't bother trying to work on it or submit it during class. You have until Friday 6pm that week to do so and receive credit (with a late penalty). I would prefer that you pay attention to the lecture.

If you have any questions or concerns, please come talk to me BEFOREHAND!

Thank you.