School of Information Management & Systems.
Organization of Information in Collections.
Assignment 9: Dublin Core DRAFT!. Due March ?.
In Assignment 3, you described four books for your own personal
purposes and using your own rules of description. Now repeat Assignment
3 using the same or other books from the same set, but with two changes:
1. You are creating the descriptions for other people to use; and
2. Your descriptions must comply with the Dublin Core system of
elements of description.
3. Find about about the Dublin Core.
See the Taylor textbook pages 87-89, 90-91.
Find the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
Scan the Frequently
Asked Questions at
Find DCMI Elements and Element Refinements at
Elements and Element Refinements. See
4. Describe what population of other people you are preparing the
descriptions for and, briefly, what assumptions are you
making about them.
5. Working primarily from the books themselves, for two or more of the books
create new descriptions
in generic form (Element="value")
that are at least minimally compliant with the Dublin Core,
not necessarily following all the recommendations, but including Element Refinements
where applicable and "extensions" designed by yourself when desirable.
6. Add notes
explaining anything that might not be obvious about
what you have done.