SIMS 213 Assignment: Third Interactive Prototype
Third Interactive Prototype (Final Writeup)
SIMS 213, Spring 2002
Due on Monday, May 13
The goal of this assignment is to complete the final iteration on your
project prototype and write up a summary of the entire project.
You have performed a pilot usability study of your prototype.
Incorporate as many of the changes suggested by this study as you can
into the final version of your UI prototype. The prototype should
be frozen (that is, not modified further) by the due date of this
This is a group assignment, so please work as a group. Note which parts
each of your team members contributes to.
A runnable version of your prototype must be available off of
your project web page along with information on how to use it.
Your write-up should be comprehensive (including sketches and screen
dumps). Your entire write-up and web page should be up to date with
all of the files stored locally (so that we can just
copy the site for our archives -- links should be relative.) It is
ok to reuse text that you've used for other assignments, so long as it
is up-to-date. These materials should include your final class presentation.
Suggested outline for writeup:
- Problem statement.
- Solution Overview (1 paragraph)
- Personas and Scenarios
- Describe the Final Interface Design
- Describe the functionality (i.e., what you can do with it)
- Provide a description of the main parts of the interaction flow. This can
be a flowchart (a sketch or something more formal such as
Jesse James' visual design language) or a
storyboard, in DENIM or powerpoint, etc). This is important
because it will provide you with a record of how the UI
worked or was intended to work, long after the
implementation no longer works. It could in principle also
act as a deliverable to hand off to an implementor.
- What was left unimplemented?
- Tools you used to develop the system
- tools for prototyping and implementing the UI
- how the tools helped and how the tools did not help
- Design Evolution
- Describe how your UI changed from initial sketches, low-fi testing,
HE, and final usability test.
- Show what the major changes were and why they were made.
- Describe which of the three evaluation technique (low-fi prototype
run-through, heuristic evaluation, pilot usability test)
was most valuable to your prototypes usability and why.
- Link to class presentation.