......uc berkeley ........is 213 course project... ... school of information management and systems

bin xin

rosa ren

monica fernandes

hong cai

Results

Appendices

Kit Experiment: Instructions, Tasks
and Satisfaction Questionnaires

Demograph Data &
Satisfaction Questionnaires Results:
Tester 1 | Tester 2 | Tester 3

Observavtion Log Data

From the tester satisfaction questionnaire and observations, we present the following results:

Task 1: Planning an Event Tester Evaluation Evaluation Comments
Selection process is easy and straightforward

Two tester rated 3, and one rated 4.

"Sequence of pages should be more straightforward" [T3]

It is recommended to improve the process. Most of the problem was caused by finding the right labeling.

Satisfaction with the information elements sent to friends

All the user rated 5, the maximum in the scale.

"But it would be nice to be able not to type their e-mails all the time" [T3]

This mean that the users were satisfied with the information provided: Event name, District, Address, Price and Description.
Confusing and hard to understand

[T3]Create a list from MySFnight page and View a List [labeling was not clear] [T2]No
[T1]Too many options in the Homepage

Labeling is a problem and should be highly prioritized.

The homepage issue should be addressed by the owners of the Final Project.

Adequate information to help you complete the task. Or too much information? [T3]Adequate: summary = option to see more
[T2]Yes
[T1]Yes + 1st page "overwhelming": too many options
It is not a significant problem, an issue related the the nature of the prototype construction.
Easy to complete the step All the users said 'yes'. One said it was "very easy" The process is simple.
Would you use this feature to email selections to your friends again? [T3]Yes, but I would like it more automated after using for the first time
[T2]Depends how friends respond!
[T1]Yes
It seems that the tool could be useful to some users
Other thoughts and comments

[T1]I liked the option of sending multiple descriptions to friends

Task 2: Sign up for a Newsletter: also may include MySFnight Registration Process Tester Evaluation Evaluation Comments
Any part of the steps confusing, hard to understand [T3]Yes. Two newsletter description in the same page. [T2]No
[T1]No, very straightforward
Although in general testers found it easy, one of them mentioned an important issue regarding information organization
Adequate information to help you complete the task. Or too much information? All considered "Yes, Adequate."
It was easy to complete the steps? All considered "Yes, Easy process. Also include the registration process for MySFnight. No relevant comments about registration.
Would you use this feature to in real life? [T3]Not sure [T2]Yes [T1]Yes Newsletter is not appealing for everyone. Some people might received many messages. That was the meaning of this "Not sure".
Other thoughts and comments [T2]Study evite.com for privacy policy, RSVP and invite options [T1] Interface: I felt secure In general, I would not subscribe to a newsletter or get coupons Users might have concerns about systems that requires e-mails from other people which could possibly be manipulated in manners users do not want.

Task 3: Create & Customize MySFnight Tester Evaluation Evaluation Comments
Part of the steps confusing, hard to understand [T3]I had a hard time identifying/differentiating the Editor's pick and my own
[T2] Add to My list: Pick Events is a list; another list I send to my friends (unclear terminology)
[T1]It wasn't clear to me what "Pick Events" is for. I didn't know from where to pick my personal events

Add value is not clear or labeling is making difficult to understand?

Separation of concerns:
Pick Events vs Your Events
Add to My List vs Your Events

Adequate information to help you complete the task. Or too much information? [T3]I wouldn't use the 'Add to My List' and "View My List" labeling, but an icon
[T3]No, very vague.
Labeling Problem
Easy to complete the steps [T3]Yes [T2]Some difficult tasks [T1]Yes, once I knew where to look Process needs to be more clear.
Would you use this feature in real life? [T3]Yes. It is useful. [T2]Yes, especially to follow particular bands as they come to SF, Berkeley, other cities [?] [T1]Yes, but not often

Added value of having a calendar there related to their music preferences

Expand the feature scope: Other want to add Bands also.

Other thoughts and comments [T3]I would add an icon next to the checkboxes of the Editors' Picks at MySFnight

General Comments about the Site
Only one user was able to answer (time constraint)

Which aspects did you find particularly easy in this site?
Layout, graphics, visually appealing

Which aspects did you find particularly difficult in this site?
Labeling and Feedback Messages can be improved

Which functions did you like most, which ones you think you would not use
Most: MySFnight, Reviews, Email to my friends
Less: View my list n [since it is not clear]

Would you in reality create your personal page to have nightlife information at this site?
Yes

Anything that you think that is missing in this site
Ability to find information about the careers of artists/their latest/previous presentations

........updated: Mar 6, 2001
Journalism and Business Models in New Media Publishing image from Gettyone.  Please visit their site to get permission