IS 208 FAQ
Last updated: 04 Jan. 2003

Quick links:
Course description (includes information on final project)
Annotated Course Outline
Texts & Software
Topics & Schedule
 Assignments & Due Dates
List of Files for Downloading
This page:  Frequently-Asked Questions

Frequently-Asked Questions about IS 208

NOTE: These questions and answers are still in draft form and are still under review. They do NOT represent definitive policy statements.

Questions

1. How does IS 208 fit into the SIMS curriculum?  Answer
2. What topics are covered?  Answer
3. What are the asignments structured and how are students graded?  Answer
4. I am not a SIMS student.  Can I take or audit IS 208?  Answer
5. Can I postpone taking IS 208 until my second year?  Answer
6. There is a special package with the textbook and software packages.  If I don't want the software, can I buy the book on its own through the SIMIANs , online, or at a bookstore?  Answer
7. I already know SAS, Systat, or some other statistical software package.  Do I have to use SPSS for the statistics assignment?  Answer
8. I worked for XYZ.com for n years and already know lots about IT management and project management.  Should I still take IS 208?  Answer
9. I have reviewed the topic list and have covered all (or almost all) of the material by means of a mix of coursework and job experiences.  Can I be exempted from the IS208 requirement?  How do I do this?  Answers

Questions with Answers

1. How does IS 208 fit into the SIMS curriculum?
IS 208 is one of the required core courses for all students in the MIMS (Masters degree) program.  (See Questions 8 & 9 below.)  It is normally taken during the Spring semester of the first year.  (See Question 5 below.) Ph.D. students are not required to take IS 208.
2. What topics are covered?
Although the exact mix of topics can vary from year to year, typically we cover: See  http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/courses/is208/s02/208-course-outline02.htm#schedule for the topic list from 2002.
While aspects of some of these topics are covered in other SIMS and MOT courses, we try to tie them into the course objectives, which leads to different emphases.
3. What are the asignments structured and how are students graded?
There are typically a mix of individual and group assignments.  See http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/courses/is208/s02/208-course-outline02.htm#assignments for more on the assignments in 2002.
4. I am not a SIMS student.  Can I take or audit IS 208?
No, with almost no exceptions.  This is due to the nature of the course and the size of the classroom.
5. Can I postpone taking IS 208 until my second year?
Except under the most extraordinary circumstances, the answer is no.  We do not advise postponing IS 208 for several reasons: If you need to postpone taking IS 208, you should talk to both your advisor and Associate Dean Lyman as soon as possible and, certainly, no later than the start of your second semester.
6. There is a special package with the textbook and software packages.  If I don't want the software, can I buy the book on its own through the SIMIANs , online, or at a bookstore?
Yes.  The package is meant only as a convenience for students. It contains the second edition of the Dennis text along with SPSS and MS Project software (Windows versions only) and has the ISBN of 0-471-44848-6. The ISBN for the text alone will be 0-471-07322-9.  (Note that we are using the new second edition for 2003.)
All required software is available on the SIMS LAN for use in the lab. A limited-time trial version of MS Project is available from Microsoft. The main use of the package is to make full versions of the programs available to you at a "low" price.
7. I already know SAS, Systat, or some other statistical software package.  Do I have to use SPSS for the statistics assignment?
You can use any statistical package for the assignment.
8. I worked for XYZ.com for n years and already know lots about IT management and project management.  Should I still take IS 208?
Probably yes.  First, there are a variety of topics designed, in part, to supplement your knowledge and experience.  Second,  we truly believe that the course material adds new perspectives to your "how we did it right/wrong" experiences at XYZ.com. Third, you will learn from the experiences other students provide during class discussions and they will learn from you.
9. I have reviewed the topic list and have covered all (or almost all) of the material by means of a mix of coursework and job experiences.  Can I be exempted from the IS208 requirement?  How do I do this?
Possibly yes.  You should first discuss this informally with either Professor Braunstein or Professor Lyman.  They will ask you to write a brief statement outlining the prior coursework and experience that has covered the topics in the course.  After they have both approved your request, check that a copy of the decision has been sent to Phil Walz in order for it to be included in your file.

We strongly recommend that you take additional, more advanced, coursework in this area to reinforce your existing knowledge and background.

This page created and maintained by Yale Braunstein & Peter Lyman.