Assignment 4: Project Proposal

This course requires a final project. This can consist of designing a new visualization (that solves a problem or sheds light on a dataset), doing usability studies to assess the efficacy of an existing visualization, or applying known visualization techniques to an interesting problem. Other ideas are possible, subject to approval.

The first step is to write up a proposal and have it approved by the instructor.

Project groups should have 1-3 people.

To do:

• March 31: Turn in a short description of a project proposal. I will review it and give you feedback. If I think it is ok, then it's done, but I might want an iteration.

The description should include:

• Name(s) of student(s) involved
    • Project goals, including what kinds of tasks the interface containing the visualization is targeted towards.
    • What data (if any) will be used to accomplish the goals.
    • Which tools will be used to accomplish the goals (this can change if needed).
    • What steps will be required to accomplish goals.
    • What kinds of results you anticipate achieving.
    • What kinds of results you would like to achieve but which you probably do not have the time or the tools for.
    • Discussion of related work.
  • April 7: Finalized version of project description, on a topic that I have approved (not necessary if I don't request changes).
  • April 21, 28: Students present final projects in class
  • May 12: Writeups due.

Project Grading Proportions:

• Class presentation of project results (must fit within designated time limits which are TBA) (25%)
  • Quality of writeup of results (25%)
  • Quality of actual project (50%)