Test session notes:

Participant 1:

Interface 1

Enter specifications left had panel,

Enter points of interest.

Did not see the need for 2 blank boxes for POI being shown.

Also said that he didnt always have exact addresses at hand so it would be helpful if the box took addresses like downtown SF or Oakland airport instead.

Did not understand why the list box selections were also called POI, suggested they sould also include freeways.

Show blob, ask them what does that mean.

Thought that it meant it was central to both locations, would have liked to see some estimate of nearness..

Tell them they do not have a car so what do you do to modify your results

Participant didnt really know what to do, he said he thought about changing the left hand menu bbut refrained from doing so since he did not want to loose the results he had.

When directed to the checkboxes said that it was lost inside the map and he had no idea that was an option also.

Tell them they want to see were the grocery stores are in this area

Same as above

.

Modify your search area to be closer to the malls/shops, but you dont want the computer to do it for you so how would you do it manually

He did not think that the map it and navigate it labels conveyed anything informative.

He said he would prefer to click on the city names shown in order to include them ( in a toggle like fashion)

Did you find this task easy/moderate/hard

Moderate

Other general comments about this interface:

Thought that it had all the required features but were not well represented or easy to find. He felt confused and lost several times and did not think that there was enough direction on what to do

Liked the fact that hovering brought up the details.

Next interface2:

What do think the sliders are for?

Guessed that the sliders were to move the blob towards or away fom the blob, but was not sure if they were independent of each other or not. Also he said he would have preferred to see just one slider for point of interest so that it would directly co relate to the blobs movement

You want to move your search area to POI A, how would you do that.

Moved the slider closer to A

moderate

General comments

Likes the idea of the distance being shown, bit did not know why the sliders still appeared on the page sine they had no connection to the distance. Also didnt see how he could bring the distance info up ( modes?)

Next interface3:

Categories: are they helpful, what do you like about it /not.

Theough the categories were very helpful. He said he would have preferred to see tabs since the rest of the categories obscured his view of the entire list, and he would have liked to eye-ball of of them at the same time.

He also suggested additional categorization as sorting by price, by bedrooms etc,

Did not understand what the date in the listing converyed. ( 11/20?)

easy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you like the most

Said #3 and #2 were unrelated. But he defiantly found #3 more helpful and #1

Dislike the most

Confusing, could not find the functionalities easily

Suggestions:

Would have like dto see the suggested cities in a diff font/ italics so that he knows what areas are the suggested areas.

Did not like the separate POI boxes. Would have preferred to enter different points as key words separated by commas.

Comparison with home finder and Craigslist:

Defiantly thinks it is an improvement since none of them offer searching by POI.

Participant 2:

Task - enter cities, don't have a car

- said would first want to enter in a city

- but saw needed an address

- so typed in work address for Walnut Creek and Freemont

- also saw Public Transit points of interest on left panel right away, selected

- said would enter other filter criteria, like lowest and highest price

- when asked to interpret the results:

- saw the orange squares, assumed possible apartment locations

- saw the T's, assumed was transportation stations

- but bart? or bus? wasn't sure

- the blob was:

- 1st instinct, was to call attention to the areas

- but said that it was obviously city boundaries or county lines

- said would now like to click on the hyper links on the left

- but wants to sort by price, # of bedrooms, etc

Task - show malls

- clicked on the mall checkbox

- but then was confused why the public transit checkbox wasn't clicked, since they were shown

Task - recluster by malls

- said would assume that if she clicked on the M marker, would show the address of the mall

- then she would enter the address as a point of interest in the address box

- Otherwise, would open a separate browser to look up mall address

Overall, adding addresses task was easy, but reblobing was very difficult

Task - Sliders

- what are they for?? not really sure

- When asked to move closer to A

- then thought could move the slider to closer to A

- wasn't sure that the sliders would move or actually do something, thought they were static to indicate the set positioning

- Overall, once given task, easy

Task - Categories

- Not sure if she's used to it, but likes the blob, doesn't like the design without the blob

- gives better context, because now she says doesn't know what cities the apartments are in (esp for apartments she says are on the borders of cities)

- finding apartments closer to A, etc, easy

- but would like to have mileage to see how close the apartment is to the point of interest

General comments:

- hard to see the association of apartment marker to the listing

- wants to have numbered markers to numbered listings

- wants sorting functionality

- when explained what the blob was, thought was cool, but it wasn't clear

- wasn't clear that she could manipulate the blob on design 1, but it was a lot clearer that something would happen in design 2 with the sliders

- overall, likes the slider design the best

- thinks there should be FAQ's or help of some sort. A quick, "how to"

- thinks if the blob isn't city boundaries, maybe there should be dotted lines to around cities

- hard to tell she could add more addresses

- suggests that maybe if there were some kind of cues when hovering over the blob that it could be changed, it would help. Like in Microsoft word, when you hover over an image, and you see those little markers showing you could resize

- if the shape of the blob was more of a polygon, might not have thought it was a city boundary.

Participant 3:

Task - enter cities, don't have a car

- said would want to click on a city, say Danville

- would expect to be able to drill down by city. When you click on it, it would zoom in and show the apartments in that city

- needed some verbal instruction to know should add addresses of points of interest

- when asked to interpret the results:

- pink blob, city limits

- completely didn't notice the apartment listings to the right until later

- thought those results should be below the map, like Yahoo Maps driving directions

- right area is advertsing, so he ignores them

- at this point, looks at the listings

- would like to click on the listings to get more details, do sorting as well

- isn't understanding that the blob is somehow showing equidistance

- (I didn't explain that's what would happen, no cues explaining that's what he's looking at)

- now that he sees the form is important, says that the map takes up too much screen real-estate. distracts from the task of entering in points of interest as the starting task

- but likes the form as a "enter all your criteria in one step"

- when told doesn't have a car:

- looks to the form. Would expect that they were check boxes for public transit

- clicks on that, hits go

- Task - add malls

- doesn't notice the checkboxes on the top, said it would be nice if there were checkboxes to add things to the map, like Yahoo Maps

- so instead hits that as a point of interest in the form

- hardly knows what the T's and M's, and even the 1's and 2's are

- hits Details on Demand

- doesn't really like this, would want to get more details from craigslist, not just pictures

- is saying that it's really difficult to compare apartments, because no sorting, no connection from the apartment marker to details

(brushing and linking doesn't seem very obvious to anyone, maybe needs more attention)

All tasks in design 1 are difficult

Task - sliders

- knows immediately how to use this

- task is very easy

- but confusing when the pink thing moves ... not sure if he's looking at the same apartments or if the apartments are moving somehow (just not clear what happened, this might be more clear in real animation)

Task - categories

- says that apartment markers should be numbered to the apartment listings

- likes the categories, but wasn't obvious that he could drill down to closer to shops, etc

- just saw the categories and wanted to immediately see details about each listing by clicking on the listing

- this task is easy

general comments

- likes the categories the best

- says easiest to compare apartments

- would be great to combine categories and sliders

- once learned could add and map multiple points, thought it was useful

- BUT be very careful, no application like this at the current time, and the form doesn't help him understand that it would map 2 or more locations on the map, since never seen something like this before. The wording of the form didn't help him understand this at all

- thinks should be much more emphasis on the form at the start of application use

- sliders much more intuitive than manipulating the blob directly

- wants to easily see more details, when clicking on the apartment (from both the side listings and the orange squares)

- thinks that icons for T and M should appear on the form next to the option, so clearer what he's looking at and helps him expect what will happen

- thinks the sliders should be on the top right of map, this is a visual hot spot

Participant 4:

Interface 1

Enter specifications left had panel,

Enter points of interest.

Show blocb, ask them what does that mean.

Was not sure why there were 2 POI being shown, it confused him with driving directions. This is especially since the interface shows the add another link, he said in that case 1 should be enough.

He suggested that add addresses should have a plus sign next to it

Was not sure what near meant, 10 miles, 5 miles?

Participant chose to look at the public transportation; however, he clicked the left hand panelinstaed of the checkboxes.

He also expected a change to happen as soon as he did that, instead of then clicking go.

Was confused about why the selections for public transport, schools , shops etc appears in both the list box as well as the check box options on the top. He seemed to think they were duplicates for each other.

Also was not sure why selecting more grocery stores etc overrode his previous settings (about the addresses entered). He did not expect the blob to change shape, rather he just wanted the stores to appear on the blob.

Did the same as above since he did not think the distinction was clear between the 2 functionalities.

After clicking on the left hand panel and clicking go, he was surprised that the blob area had changed. He said he expected it to be the same

.

He was confused if navigate it ment getting driving distances or something else>

He did a click-and-drag from the edge of the current blob.

Had no indication what Mapit meant

Moderate

Thought that the blob does not accurately convey the nearness aspect.

Thought that 2 blobs should be shown that representa the radial distance from a POI and their intersection if any should be the blob.

Within the blob, would like to see color coded ranking for nearness ( most near ones should be green, father ones in the blob should be red etc

Said he would also like to have seen distance information for the selected apartment from grocery stores, bus stops etc.

Next interface2:

What do think the sliders are for?

Guessed that the sliders were for shifting the blob, but again was not sure what near, far meant, how many miles they indicated by moving it left and right.

Moved the slider closer to A

easy

General comments

baring the near-closer not being accurately defined in terms of distance, liked the interface.

Next interface3:

Didnt like the categories at all, since to him they did not convey anything that the visualization did not. Also again, near was unclear. If an apartment is 4 miles from A and 3 miles from B is that midway or near B?

N/A, did not find it useful

What did you like the most

Liked interface 2 and then 1, number 3 was most unpopular.

Liked the automated suggestion for area

Liked the fact that the search was consolidated by distance, saved him having to look for distances for each apartment from listings.

Dislike the most

Did not think that allowing mapping an area ( overriding the suggested area) was helpful

Participant 5:

Interface 1

Enter specifications left had panel:

What do the drop downs mean?

Where are there no maximum bedrooms

Cats/Dogs good idea

Are the price ranges per month?

POI on the left correspond to points above the map so if I select points on the left more boxes will appear on top that correspond to that

Good that you can add more addresses

Enter points of interest.

I can guess whats going on but I didnt set up the range.

Apartment tick should have numbers that correspond to a numbered list on the right

I think the red circle represents the equidistance from POIs but you need some kind of a clear legend to explain it.

I dont see why the area is necessary

I dont know if the 2 public transits are the same or different.

I dont know why you need duplicates

I dont understand why the region is a circle

Is the highlighting in the list persistent or if I click on something else will this one go away?

What goes under the public transit category its not clear. All I know is that I have some kind of public transit

I see the circle changed based on the public transit criterion so I get more apartment choices.

Next

I think I know what you mean simply by the process of elimination but it wasnt clear from the start

How do you find ALL the grocery stores there are too many to be practical.

I see that the area didnt change

Now:

Compete confusion.

Navigate it might mean manipulating the map.

Map it might really no clue. I already see the map its not like its the difference of satellite vs. map

After explanation:

Ok. Makes sense. Would the cursor change?

I dont see the point of the blob. How do I get to even that transportation that is showing up if I dont have a car. Why would I limit myself by the blob? I guess manual blob makes it more useful but still its way more work than the conventional interfaces.

Ok details on apartments are clear. Nice to see the pictures. Clicking on the link would take me to the original posting.

Hard to figure things out without playing around with it. Its not self-explanatory. I want the labels. I designate it moderate simply because there are no labels.

Next interface2:

What do think the sliders are for?

To move the blob closer to whatever poi I want.

Where is the middle of the slider what if I want to position them all equidistantly?

To get closer to 2, move slider 1 to farther and slider 2 to closer.

Are the sliders independent of each other?

Distances:

I see what they are doing. I see that they used the same color to show directions to both points of interest a bit confusing. Where do I select this option to begin with?

Id prefer both POI marks and the routes color coded. Id also like to be able to see them one at a time.

The hovering over idea is not clear how do I know to hover?

Easy.

This is more user friendly for a beginner than click and drag. You might want to have this as beginner/advanced modes.

Routes: Idea is easy. Proposed implementation difficult. Definitely want to be able to see one route at a time.

Next interface3:

No blob on the picture but then how do we know who the apartments are delimited.

Not helpful because the interfaces chooses for me. I prefer the sliders.

Easy to understand but not very useful. I think most people have the capacity to see that one apartment is closer to a than the other without the help of preprogrammed categories.

The routes with the distances displayed do the job much better if I cant tell on my own.

Suggestions

Questions

Which scheme would you yourself prefer?

I felt like the level of control went down as I want through the versions.

If I know what I am doing than the more control the better. Id prefer version 1 but with the routing functionality

Is this interface supposed to be for lengthy exploration. If you are doing anything but apartments you need people to understand it on the fly, but for a search of apartments you might be able to afford a higher learning curve.

What did you like the most

Layout is nice. Positioning of features in nice. No popups everything in its own place and in the same place. On the other hand there appears to be no space for anything else should you come up with it.

I want to be able to use it out of the box. I dont like to go through tutorials. So you need to balance abundance of feature with ease of learning. If I need to hesitate, Ill just go to a familiar interface.

Dislike the most

No explanation for functions. Id like to know from the start that the blob is there to help me. Have a legend key or some sort of explanation always available.