University of California, Berkeley, IS 182AC, Spring 2001
Mary Kay Duggan,
Information Management and Systems
Print, Literacy and Power: To 1900
Videos on American Cultures and Print
- Ethnic Notions. Insight Media, 1987. 56 minutes. UCB Media Center,
VIDEO/C 1024. Caricatures of African Americans in
the media, 1820's to the civil rights era.
- The Distorted Image: Stereotype and Caricature in American Popular
Graphics, 1850-1922. Insight Media, 1992. 28 minutes. UCB NRLF
Attidtudes toward immigrant racial, ethnic, and religious minorities.
- The Black Press: Soldiers Without Swords. Insight Media, 1998. 86 minutes.
UCB Media Center, VIDEO/C 5455. Chronicling the role of the black press in the consturction of African-American
identity from the founding of Freedoms' Journal in 1827 to civil
- The Shadow Catcher: Edward S. Curtis and the North American Indian.
Mystic Fire Video, 1993. 89 minutes. UCB Media Center, VIDEO/C 353. A
profile of photographer, anthropologist and filmmaker Curtis wgi betweeb
1896 and 1830 took 40,000 pictures, recorded 10,000 songs, and collected
interview and Indian stories.
- In the land of the War Canoes: Kwakiutl Indian Life on the
Northwest Coast. Written and filmed in 1914 by Edward S. Curtis. Milestone
Film & Video, 1992. video, 47 min. UCB Media Center VIDEO/C 3395.